Christmas is a grand festival and certainly the biggest in Europe and the USA. Now Christmas is something that cannot be celebrated without some good deal of shopping! Although you will get all that you need for Christmas from any part of the world nowadays but there are some charming Christmas markets that can allure anyone to shop till they drop before the Christmas festivity. From handmade craft items to delicious foods, the famous Christmas markets can take you to a different world altogether!
Christmas shopping can be done best in Europe and America. The best Christmas markets are also in the finest cities that are awesome holiday destinations! You can easily do your Christmas shopping and then celebrate Christmas in those magical places. Here I am listing the 12 best Christmas Markets in some of the best foreign locations.
1.Toronto Christmas Market, Toronto, Canada – This is a gorgeous market with shimmering lights, rides, beer gardens, musical performances, Santa’s Grotto and plenty of other entertainment. You can buy elegant Christmas decorations to exquisite presents in this market. It has a gleaming 50-foot Christmas tree in the center and a 100-foot long light tunnel. This is one of the largest Christmas Markets in North America.
2.Advent Feast at the Basilica, Budapest, Hungary – This is one of the best Christmas markets in the world! This open-air market spreads in front of Budapest’s grand Cathedral. From unique gift items to mouth-watering Hungarian foods, you will be spoiled for choices.
Did you know that Father Christmas himself goes for shopping in this market!
3.Strasbourg, France – Strasbourg is the birthplace of Christmas celebrations! Around 300 wooden chalets are set up for the Christmas market in the heart of the Grandelle, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
4. Weihnachtsmarkt Frankfurt Romerberg, Germany – This is the official Frankfurt Christmas market as there are also some other Christmas markets in the city! This is a popular Christmas destination for tourists. This is the largest and oldest Christmas market in Germany with enormous glittering Christmas trees, endless stalls full of ornaments, roasted nuts, grilled sausages, pottery, sculptures and photographs!
5.Viennese Christmas Market, Vienna, Austria – This ancient Christmas market comprises of around 151 stalls! From gift items to delicious foods this market has so much to offer. This market holds some unique attractions for the kids such as ice skating and reindeer rides!
6. Piazza Santa Croce, Florence, Italy – Want to feel the traditional Italian charm? This spectacular market has the typical Italian essence! You will get a variety of delicious food items, winter clothes, gift items and more. This is a great Christmas market where gingerbreads and strudel are the must-buys!
7. Skansen’s Christmas Market, Stockholm – This is another open-air traditional Christmas market with endless stalls selling handmade crafts, sausages, smoked turkey, spices, beautiful candles and a lot more. There are entertaining dance games around the huge Christmas tree and Christmas workshops to help you make your own decorations for the festival.
8.Basel Christmas Market, Switzerland – This is one of the most popular Christmas markets in the world with beautifully decorated stalls selling various items and delightful foods. They build a Christmas Fairy tale forest for the children.
9. Advent in Zagreb, Croatia – This has been voted as the best Christmas markets destination for consecutive years. It has unique enchantments. The numerous street food stalls, pop-up bars, music stages, ice rink and live ice sculpture carvings are some of the best attractions. There’s one “fooling around” area where people can dance on the street and eat and drink as much as they desire!
10. Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park, New York, USA – It is one of the best Christmas markets in America with about 125 stalls selling crafts and jewellery from all over the world! It has a beautiful fountain which often freezes in winter. There are magnificent decorations and Santa Claus and his elves stroll around the place!
11. Cluj Napoca Christmas Market, Romania – This market decorates itself into a fairy tale like set up. It is a place of family gatherings for the Romans. It is held near the beautiful Church of Saint Michael. Amazing goods are sold by the vendors. The ice skating rink, music concerts and Christmas carols boost up the festive mood! Furthermore they have a Santa’s house for workshops and a Santa’s tram to take you to a city tour!
12. Mont beliard, France – A magical Christmas market is held here a few weeks before Christmas time. Over 160 beautifully decorated stalls sell various types of goods from art and craft items to decorations, food, beverage and others. Chorus and ongoing music are the added attractions.
Some cheaper yet attractive items that you can buy at all of these Christmas markets : Christmas toys, wooden toys and dolls, paper stars, sheepskin slippers and boots, local crafts, ornaments, candles and candle holders, spices, Honey Gummy bears, tasty cookies, ginger bread, dark and rich fruitcakes, little sausages and local liquor among other things.
If you are planning to visit the United Kingdom in your Christmas vacation, remember UK has several fantastic Christmas markets to explore! Some of the best Christmas markets in the UK are – Bath Christmas Market, Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market, Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market, Glasgow’s George Square Christmas Market, Belfast Christmas Market, Caerphilly Christmas Market, Leeds Castle Christmas at Kent, Christkendelmarkt at Leeds, Manchester’s Albert Square Christmas Market and Southbank Centre Winter Festival at London.
The best buys at these British Christmas markets are quirky Christmas crafts, hand-knitted socks, delicate glass works, painted textiles, tasty gingerbread and cheeses, variety of chocolates, mince pies, gins, spiced ciders and mulled wine!
Christmas is all about merriment and celebrations. The above mentioned Christmas markets are some of the best ones to do your Christmas shopping to your heart’s content and also these are in fantastic cities that are the most desirable destinations for Christmas vacation. Visit one of these places to celebrate Christmas in grandeur and joy.